"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Paleo Week 2

Sorry to be a little late in posting.  Experiments and the writing that comes with trying to publish data have taken up most of my time as of late.

Week 2 went well.  Towards the end of week 1 I would find myself battling fatigue after about an hour into a run.  It would pass, but it was strange to be dealing with the low energy feeling.  Now I notice that it is not an issue whatsoever and I think I am beginning to be better at metabolizing fat.  I've continued focusing on a high fat paleo style diet rather than a high protein paleo style diet, which to me, makes more sense, is cheaper, and has less of an impact on the environment.

Monday:  10 miles, low HR.  Legs were tired out after the previous weeks B2B long runs.

Tuesday:  Same as Monday.  Made my garlic green beans as a nice paleo side for dinner.

Wednesday:  Felt spunky and put in a 9.5 mile tempo run in 1:03:30 in the morning.  Followed this up with an easy 10 on the trails at night.  Flank steak that marinated overnight for dinner, along with a big baked potato with avacado and sour cream (gasp not paleo?!??!).  I'm not overly stressed about being strict paleo, sour cream is delicious, and I will continue to enjoy it.  Its not like I put it on everything...

Thursday:  A easy/moderate paced 6.5 at lunch.  10 more in the afternoon.

Friday:  Same as Thursday.  Teryaki Tuni steaks for dinner.  Pretty dang good if I do say so myself.

Saturday:  Had trouble getting motivated, as college football is just so entertaining and I have no races to get me out the door to train for, which honestly, feels kinda nice right now.  Was thinking about taking a day off, when I finally forced myself onto the Poto around 4pm.  Disaster struck when I rolled my ankle nasty bad, heard a loud popping nose, hobbled to my car and put ice packs on it with no idea what to expect.  I had been planning on spending the night in my car at the trail head, and then hitting 30-35 miles on Sunday, but this idea quickly disappeared as I went to sleep in my car with a busted leg.  5 miles total.

Oops
Sunday:  Made it once around the short Poto loop for 13 miles, not especially fast, but good god was a glad my ankle at least let me get that much running  in.  Iced it out for the rest of the day.

Total of 90 miles for the week.  Planning on a few more, but right now I just want to get my ankle back to normal so I can continue enjoying the beautiful fall weather and colors.

Garlic Green Bean Recipe:  Makes enough for 2.
Approximately 1 pound of green beans
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 lemon
1/8 cup olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Buy some green beans.
Clean them with water and then break off the stems.
Dice up 2-3 cloves of garlic crushing it nicely to release the garlic essence
Heat up a skillet containing about half of your olive oil
Add the green beans, allow to cook for about 5 minutes
Add the other half of your olive oil + garlic
Sautee over low-medium heat until desired tenderness is reached (I prefer mine somewhat al-dente)
Squeeze in lemon juice, and allow to cook for another minute.  Don't cook for too long with lemon juice, otherwise it will caramelize and make a sticky mess.

If your olive oil starts to run out, add some water and the beans can continue to cook/steam without a problem.

Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment